Approved By field not populated by correct user

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hi,

First of all EXCELLENT utility.  THis is a feature that should have been included with SP.

Installed with MOSS 2007 and clients using both Office 2007 and 2010.

I have tried using the this both with and without linking to approval workflow.  In all instances the "Approved By" field is populated with the the document originator and not the approver.  And, not matter the process I use to approve (i.e., work flow or direct approval from dropdown) the result is the same.

Can someone here give me some direction on how to proceed.

Thanks in Advance,

Gus

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Hi Gus,

Thanks for reporting the error - I looked at the code and spotted a bug in the way it retrieved the Approved By user. This is now fixed and I have uploaded version 1.1 to the Codeplex site.

Regards,

Phil

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Hi Phil,

WOW.. Thank You so much for the very prompt action..

But, I think the version for SP 3.0 (MOSS 2007) is still at Version 1.0.  And, since I am still on the 2007 version the 1.1 version won't work for me.  Unless I am mistaken.

Thanks Again!

Gus

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Hi again Gus,

I was just uploading it as you typed - should be on there now

Phil

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Hi Again..

Thanks..  I just uploaded v1.1 and tested..

The field is populated with the correct user when using the drop-down (approve/reject) from the document folder .  However, if I have the document folder WorkFlow enabled and tied to the Major version request..  The "Approved By" is always populated by "System Account".

I wish I could help..  But, I have yet to set up a development machine to dive into some of this.  It's just killing me. :-)

Thanks Again for ALL your help.  You've been great!

Gus

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Hi Gus,

Not sure how much I am going to be of help here. Sounds like the workflow you are using approves documents with elevated permissions - hence it recording the System Account as the approver. Is the workflow the standard MOSS approval workflow or one designed in SharePoint Designer? I'll have a look if I have the time, but may not be able to come up with a solution as the issue is related to how the workflow operates.

Phil

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Hi Phil,

I used the standard approval WF, (output below):

10/28/2010 8:40 PM

Workflow Initiated

No presence information

Gus

CustADocApproval was started.  Participants: GusTest

10/28/2010 8:40 PM

Task Created

No presence information

Gus

Task created for GusTest.  Due by: 10/30/2010 8:40:46 PM

10/28/2010 8:46 PM

Task Completed

No presence information

GusTest

Task assigned to GusTest was approved by GusTest. Comments: Sounds good GGTest

Approved by GusTest

Comment

No presence information

Gus

Post-completion activity performed.

Approval status updated.

Workflow Completed

No presence information

Gus

CustADocApproval was completed.

CustADocApproval on 50036 has successfully completed. All participants have completed their tasks.

I could very well be readingthis incorrectly.  But, it looks as though the approved By is correct in the output.  But, the "Approved By" populated in the column is "System Account".

Let me know your thoughts.  And, if there is something I can do to help.

Thanks,

Gus

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM

The workflow code knows who approved the item and is injecting that name into the Workflow Tasks list but the workflow itself is running under the System Account. All activity to do with who approved the item is being handled by the workflow instead of being handled by the user approving the item (the default SharePoint approval behaviour without the workflow associated). In other words, the event receiver that I have developed does not know about the approval workflow and the approval workflow does not know about my event receiver.

I may be able to trap the event that starts the workflow and get the information from there, but not without a bit of effort....

Phil

May 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Hi.
Sorry to Bump old posts but did someone find a solution to this, I have the same problem that when Im using workflow the approved by isnt populated correctly?

Jacksi